Thursday, 23 May 2013

Meetings 2013





A committee meeting was held on 6th November 2013.

Present
Roy James, Sue James, John James, Neville Ruff, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb
Apologies
Jill Chatwin, Malcolm Brewin, Ruth Roberts, Wendy Jones

The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.

Matters arising
100 ClubThe fourth draw for 2013/14 was held at this evening’s meeting. The winners were: 1st prize, No. 7 Graham and Rose Gammon (£25); 2nd prize, No. 88 Ruth Roberts (£15); 3rd prize, No. 14 John Lewis-Tunster (£10). The current balance in the 100 Club account is £551.91 because Andy has transferred £300 from it into the Village Hall account.

Village Newsletter and Website – The Autumn/Winter issue of the Newsletter is now with the printer. PLANED are running another “Newsletter of the Year” competition. The closing date for this is 12th November, so Ruth Roberts has entered a copy of our last Newsletter. The results will be announced at the Pembrokeshire Community Forum Network meeting at Llawhaden Community YFC and Community Hall on 21st November.

Heat Conservation in the Main Hall and Kitchen Improvements
We will fit heat deflecting foil behind the radiators on the long outside wall of the Main Hall and will also obtain another quote for insulation for that wall. We now have a quote from Davies Builders to supply units for the kitchen, together with a plan. The total price for the units plus a worktop would be £1150 + VAT. This does not include a sink and taps, which would cost a further £100-150. Davies do not do fitting so we would also have to pay for this. Some months ago, Classic Kitchens quoted £4357 including VAT to supply and fit kitchen units and a radiator. This did not include plumbing. Howdens in Haverfordwest will also give us a quote. When all the quotes are in, we will apply for a grant from Awards for All Wales to cover both the insulation and the kitchen improvements.

External and Internal Maintenance – We are very grateful to the Probation Service who have now finished painting the outside of the Hall. We need to clean off some paint splashes from the uPVC window sills and frames, and some repainting needs to be done inside the Hall. Badgers Bowls have very kindly offered to help and we will arrange a date/s to do this in the New Year.

Old School Garden and Claypits – Malcolm is very busy so will be unable to come to the meetings but is very willing to continue to help to maintain the Old School Garden and the Claypits. Roy, Andy and Sue cleared a large area of brambles from the Old School Garden on 5th October. Vehicles are using the area in front of the gate to the Claypits to turn round. As a result, the ground there has been churned up and has become very muddy, which will make access to the site difficult. John will try to obtain some chippings to put down here to alleviate this problem.

Dylan Thomas’s Birthday Walk, Laugharne, Saturday 19th October – The very heavy rain over lunch time had cleared by the time we started the walk at 1.30 pm. The sun shone and the views over the estuary from the path through the woods were superb. After our climb up through the woods, we caught our breath whilst enjoying another panoramic view over Laugharne, the estuary and the marshes before crossing some fields and looping back down a lane towards our starting point in the car park next to the castle. Thanks go to Jill Chatwin for organising this walk, which we all thoroughly enjoyed.

Possible Daytime Courses in the Hall – There is an item in the Autumn/Winter Newsletter, asking people if they would be are interested in attending courses in the Hall, e.g., first aid, yoga, craft courses. All such courses require a minimum number of participants in order to run.

Forthcoming Events
1) Possible Christmas Show in Llanteg Village Hall – Sue has contacted several groups of players about the possibility of putting on a Christmas show in the Hall, but all were fully booked. However, Clarbeston Road Players do shows at other times of the year, so we will look at the possibility of having one in the spring.
2) Guided Walk in the Bosherston/Stackpole area, December/January – more details later.

Correspondence
1) The Woodland Trust are giving out 3000 packs of trees of different sizes and these can be applied for on line. It was decided that we do not need any more trees or hedging plants for the Old School Garden or the Claypits.
2) The Pembrokeshire Community Forum Network will be holding a forum entitled “Creative Ways to Combat the Cuts” in Llawhaden YFC and Community Hall on Thursday 21st November at 5.30 pm. Anyone wishing to attend should contact Liz Cartwright at PLANED.
Any Other Business
1) It was agreed that the Committee should send a letter to Pembrokeshire County Council to express our concern about the very poor condition of the road between Llanteg Cross and Tavernspite, particularly the stretch between Crunwere House and Peggy Roger’s Corner. This road is used by considerable numbers of people every day and the poor drainage and the holes in it need urgent attention. Individuals are also encouraged to contact the Council about this.
2) It was suggested that we should consider increasing the Hall Hire charges – these have remained the same since 2009. This will be discussed at the next meeting.
3) The boiler service has been done.
4) Hughes News stopped delivering newspapers at the end of October. Someone from Penally will now be delivering them and Sue will ask him if he would like to use the Hall to sort them.
5) It was suggested that we should try to get the Police Forum back to hold regular surgeries in the Hall.
6) The Police and Crime Commissioner has money available for certain community projects.
7) A Remembrance Service will be held in the Hall at 10.45 am on Sunday 10th November.

NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 15TH JANUARY 2014 AT 8 PM




A committee meeting was held on 25th September 2013.

Present
Roy James, Sue James, Jill Chatwin, John James, Tony Brinsden, Malcolm Brewin, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb
Apologies
Neville Ruff, Ruth Roberts, Wendy Jones

The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.

Matters arising
100 ClubThe second draw for 2013/14 was held at the Ludchurch Show in Llanteg Village Hall on Friday 2nd August and the winners were: 1st prize, No. 53 Mollie James (£25); 2nd prize, No. 37 Andrew Mason; 3rd prize, No. 18 Wendy Jones. The third draw for 2013/14 was done at tonight’s Village Hall Committee meeting and the winners were: 1st prize, No. 12 Sam James (£25); 2nd prize, No. 30, Jane Harries (£15); 3rd prize, No. 71 Lowri Brinsden (£10). We have £886.91 in the 100 Club account and Andy will transfer £300 into the Village Hall account.

Financial Situation – The balance in the current account is now £1710.50. Now that Llanteg Community Association has merged with the Village Hall Committee, the Community Association funds (£329.26) have been transferred to the Village Hall current account.

Hall insurance – For the past three years this has been with Allied Westminster and it expires on 30th September. The premium for the third year (i.e., this last year) with Allied Westminster was £776. If we agreed to renew for three years with this company, the premium for the first year would be £784.03 and for a single year renewal would be £822.84. In view of this, Andy has compared quotes from several companies and the best one was from Aon-Allianz : £671.74 for one year. This company will give the same cover as we have now but not including playground equipment, since we no longer have any. The trustee indemnity insurance has also been reduced from £500,000 to £250,000. However, Andy handed round a list of the types of claims that have been made on this basis and it was felt that cover of up to £250,000 would be entirely adequate for our needs. The cover for loss of revenue has been reduced to £4,000. The excess with Aon-Allianz is £100 for most things, compared with £250 with Allied Westminster. It was agreed that Andy should insure the Hall with Aon-Allianz and Roy thanked him for researching this.

Village Newsletter and Website – Please send all contributions for the next Newsletter to Ruth Roberts by Tuesday 15th October.

Heat Conservation in the Main Hall and Kitchen Improvements
We still have an expired quote of about £525 for cavity wall insulation in the Main Hall. We hope to be able to obtain a grant for both this and the proposed kitchen improvements. We still have not had the quote from Mr Lewis for the kitchen improvements but Roy and Sue will obtain quotes from Davies Builders, Wickes and Howdens and Jill will contact B&Q.

External and Internal Maintenance – The Probation Service have painted the outside of the Hall on three Sundays. So far, they have applied two coats to the wall facing the car park, one on the gable and one on the back. They will be back again this coming Sunday. We will need to tidy up after they have finished because there are paint smears and splashes on the uPVC window sills and frames. Roy thanked Andy for organising this work.

Forthcoming Events
1) Dylan Thomas’s Birthday Walk, Laugharne, Saturday 19th October. Meet at 1.30 in the car park on the foreshore, next to the castle. This walk is approximately 2 miles in length, with stiles and some steep sections.
2) Possible Christmas Show in Llanteg Village Hall. Unfortunately, Mr Harvey of See Saw Productions is unable to put on a Christmas show in December. Sue and Roy will contact Laurie Dale of Dale’s Music in Tenby to see if he is able to do one.
3) Possible Guided Walk in Pembroke Dock, December – more details later.

Correspondence
1) PAVS membership – Andy will check to see if our subscription was taken from our bank account on 1st August.
2) The boiler service is due and has been booked for October.
3) PRS for music had an on-line survey which Sue completed. She replied that we use very little music but still had to pay £106.80 this year. If they take notice of the survey results, maybe this will be reduced.

Any Other Business
1) The walk around Carew which was held on Saturday 13th July was very enjoyable. This was one of the hottest days of the summer so we walked slowly across to Milton, and from there along a fairly shaded path to Carew Cheriton where we looked inside the lovely old church. The coolness and shade were very welcome! On our way back to Carew, we visited the war graves and had refreshments at the café next to the tidal mill. Thanks go to Jill Chatwin for researching and organising this walk.
2) The BYO village barbecue at the Claypits on 31st August was very successful and enjoyed by all who attended. The weather was kind to us and this nice open but sheltered site proved to be an excellent venue for it. Thanks go to John James and Malcolm Brewin for organising this event.
3) Maintenance for the Old School Garden and Claypits – The Claypits site does not need much work at the moment but the Old School Garden is very overgrown, especially with brambles. A working party to start to clear these was arranged for Saturday 5th October at 10 am.
4) Possible daytime courses in the Hall - In order to raise additional revenue, it was suggested that we could have some daytime courses in the Hall.
    These could possibly include:
        a) A First Aid course which the Red Cross would do for free to participants.
        b) STEP Community Courses (e.g., craft courses, photography, line dancing), organised by Pembrokeshire
            College.
        c) Computer courses.
    It was suggested that we should put a list of possible courses in the Newsletter to gauge the level of interest.
5) Amroth Parish Hall will be putting up their hire charges by 20% from 1st January 2014

NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 6TH NOVEMBER 2013 AT 8 PM 





A committee meeting was held on 8th July 2013.

Present
Roy James, Sue James, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb

Apologies
John James, Jill Chatwin, Ruth Roberts, Dilys Jenkinson, Malcolm Brewin

The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.

Matters arising
100 Club – Since the last meeting, five more members have joined the 100 Club, bringing the total membership to 52 for 2013/14. The current balance in the 100 Club account is now £961.91. The first draw for 2013/14 took place at the quiz evening in Llanteg Village Hall on 18th May. The winners were: 1st prize, No. 15 Ann Newman (£25); 2nd prize, No. 50 David Wilson (£15); 3rd prize, No. 3 Darren James (£10). The second draw for 2013/14 will be held at the Ludchurch Show in Llanteg Village Hall on Friday 2nd August.

Financial Situation – We have received a donation of £100 from Badgers Bowls, and one of £50 towards the cost of the improved outside lighting from RWE npower’s Aberthaw Power Station. Our thanks go to both organisations for their generosity, which is very much appreciated.

Village Newsletter and Website – The Spring/Summer issue of the Newsletter was distributed in May and the website is running well.

Heat Conservation in the Main Hall
The broken blinds in the Main Hall have now been replaced with three vertical ones.

Kitchen Improvements – We have not yet received the quote from Mr Lewis. Sue will contact him about this.

External and Internal Maintenance –A group of volunteers cleaned the walls, barge boards and guttering on Wednesday 22nd May, so the Hall is now ready for the Probation Service to paint the outside. Our thanks go to the members of Badgers Bowls who helped with this task. Myfanwy Jenkins is no longer with the Probation Service and our contact there is now Mark Walcock. He has looked at the exterior of the Hall with Myfanwy Jenkins and now needs approval from his supervisor to take on the job of repainting it. Andy has told him that we have now cleaned the outside of the hall and that we have bought the paint. Mark will contact Andy to tell him what equipment they will need and to give him a date on which they will be able to start the work.

Possible Merger of Llanteg Community Association with the Village Hall Committee – It was agreed at the last Llanteg Community Association (CA) meeting that the merger between it and the Llanteg Village Hall Committee should go ahead. Malcolm Brewin and John James agreed to attend Village Hall Committee meetings when they can and, along with other members of the CA, will continue to maintain the Old School Garden and the Claypits. Those present at this evening’s Hall Committee meeting agreed that there was no need to have a CA sub-committee.

Forthcoming Events
1) Walk around Carew, Saturday 13th July. Just over 2 miles in length. Meet at picnic area car park north of the castle (i.e., at the opposite side of the mill pond from the castle) at 2 pm.
2) Dylan Thomas’s Birthday Walk, Laugharne, Saturday 28th September. More details later.
3) Possible Christmas Show in Llanteg Village Hall. Sue will contact Mr Harvey of See Saw Productions about the possibility of them putting on a Christmas show in December.
4) Walk in Stackpole area. December – more details later.

Correspondence
1) PAVS membership – PAVS has had a problem with its standing order/direct debit system and will take our subscription from our bank account on 1st August.
2) The electrical safety inspection for the Hall has been done. This included a check of all the electrics including the emergency lighting and PAT testing.
3) The Pembrokeshire County Council licensing inspector, Geraint Griffiths, has inspected the Hall and has sent a letter confirming that our licenses, insurance etc. are up to date.
Any Other Business
1) Our contract for the supply of electricity is due for renewal and SWALEC have again offered the best price.
2) The possibility of holding daytime courses in the Hall in order to raise additional revenue will be discussed at the next meeting.

NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 25TH SEPTEMBER 2013 AT 8 PM



A committee meeting was held on 14th May 2013.
Present
Sue James, Neville Ruff; Dilys Jenkinson, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb
Apologies
Roy James, Tony Brinsden, Jill Chatwin, Ruth Roberts
The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.
Matters arising
100 Club – John Lewis-Tunster has now handed all the paperwork to Andy. The Club currently has 47 members, all of whom have paid for 2013/14, and the current balance in the account is £949.91. The first draw for 2013/14 will be done at the quiz evening to be held in Llanteg Village Hall on 18th May.
Village Newsletter and Website – The Spring/Summer issue of the Newsletter is now being distributed. The printing cost for this was £164.26. The total income from advertisements for the Newsletter for 2013 is £300.
Heat Conservation in the Main Hall
Sue has spoken to a company in Newcastle Emlyn who have quoted £160 to supply and fit three window blinds to replace the broken ones in the Main Hall.
Outside Lighting – Garwood Edwards, the electrician, has replaced the bulb in the new PIR light outside the kitchen so it will not be triggered to come on during daylight hours. He has fitted a more powerful light over the main entrance to light the ramp, tidied up the wiring and has fitted an LED PIR floodlight half way between this light and the kitchen one.
Kitchen Improvements – We have two quotes for kitchen improvements, and may be able to obtain a third. The new kitchen will have more storage space, a new sink at standard worktop height and a source of heating. We hope to be able to obtain a grant to pay for this. We will need to dispose of the existing stainless steel units and Dilys suggested that George Jones of Carew Metals might be interested in these.
External and Internal Maintenance – The Probation Service have very kindly agreed to paint the outside of the Hall for us, including the plinth. They use a tower rather than ladders and, as this will not fit into the narrow space behind the back of the Hall, they will not be able to paint the west-facing wall. We have purchased the paint and must supply the brushes. We will have to clean the barge boards and guttering before they begin and a group of volunteers to do this will meet at the Hall on Wednesday 22nd May at 10 am. At a later date, we will get a working party together to touch up the damaged paint inside the Hall.
Possible Merger of Llanteg Community Association with the Village Hall Committee –This was suggested by the Chairman of the Community Association, John James, and has already been discussed at a meeting of the Community Association. The interests of the two are compatible and the two committees have several members in common. The constitution of the Community Association states that, for the merger to occur, there would have to be a two thirds majority of Community Association members in favour. According to the constitution of the Village Hall Committee, a straight majority of members in favour would be required. If the two committees voted to merge, a meeting would be necessary to wind up the Community Association and the funds of the Community Association would be transferred to the Village Hall Committee, but in a separate bank account. One option would then be to run the Community Association as a sub-committee of the Village Hall Committee. The view of those present at this Village Hall Committee meeting was that they would be happy for the merger to go ahead.
Forthcoming Events
1) Llanteg Community Association Quiz Evening, Saturday 18th May at 7.30 pm in Llanteg Village Hall. This will be hosted by John Lewis-Tunster and a light supper will be provided. Bring your own alcoholic drinks if you wish. Teams of up to four people, tickets £5 per person.
2) Walk around Carew, Saturday 13th July. More details later.
3) Possible Christmas Show in Llanteg Village Hall. Sue will contact Mr Harvey of See Saw Productions about the possibility of them putting on a Christmas show in December.
Correspondence
The bill for the PRS and PPL joint music licence is £106.80 for this year.
Any Other Business
1) The next electrical safety inspection of the Hall is now due and Sue will ask a couple of electricians to provide a quote.
2) The current contract with Swalec for supplying electricity to the Hall ends at the end of this month. Roy is comparing the charges from various suppliers to ensure that we get the best price for the coming year.
3) The possibility of having a Strawberry Tea in the Hall next summer was suggested.
NEXT MEETING: MONDAY 8TH JULY 2013 AT 7.30 PM

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING MONDAY 15TH APRIL 2013

Present
Roy James, Sue James, John Lewis-Tunster, Tony Brinsden, Neville Ruff; Ruth Webb, Andy Webb
Apologies
Jill Chatwin, Arwyn Owen, Ruth Roberts, Wendy Jones; Rod Bramhall, Dilys Jenkinson
Minutes of Previous AGM
These were read and confirmed.
Treasurer’s Report
Andy Webb presented his report and Statement of Accounts for the year ending 31st October 2012 and copies were handed round. … However, expenditure has risen sharply since last year and without £460 from fundraising, we would have made an operating loss. Like many organisations, we are facing an inexorable rise in costs and a steady decline in income. Our reserves will cover us for some years to come, but any major unexpected expense would change this picture.
Income – The total for the year was £3683, a 5.7% decrease on last year; only fundraising and the 100 Club income have risen. Hall hire, our main source of income, generated £2615 compared with £2945 in 2010/11. All our main users, except for Hughes News, have spent less than last year. The 100 Club contribution was the usual £300, but the payment was not made last year. Next year should see a double contribution to make up for the missed payment.
Expenditure –  These costs have all risen, apart from maintenance, but this lower figure merely reflects the fact that little maintenance was done and more will be required next year. We need to improve our car park lighting, get cavity wall insulation for the west wall of the Main Hall and decorate inside and out. We have started looking at available grants and other sources of help to cover these costs as much as possible.
Newsletter and Website – Ruth Roberts has again produced two editions of the very valuable newsletter as well as maintaining and improving the now extensive Llanteg Village website. Advertising revenue has fallen slightly, from £325 down to £265. Our website and newsletter spread information about Llanteg very effectively and Ruth has done this at very low cost, especially compared with what other village halls have had to spend on much more limited sites. As ever, many thanks go to Ruth for her ceaseless efforts.
100 Club – Andy thanked John Lewis-Tunster for running the valuable 100 Club and providing much-needed extra funds for the Hall.
Pembroke and District Male Voice Choir – We owe a huge vote of thanks to Pembroke and District Male Voice Choir who put on a 60th anniversary concert in the Hall with no charge to us. This was very well supported and the Hall was full to bursting, so ticket sales added £360 to our funds.
Donations– We owe grateful thanks to Badgers Bowls, for their donation to the Carol Service expenses.
100 Club Report
John reported that there were 48 paid-up members for the year 2012/13, most of whom have paid by Standing Order. He said that, after ten years of running the 100 Club, and twenty years on the Village Hall Committee, his other commitments now mean that he no longer has the time to do either of these and he resigned from the Committee. He will collect up all the subscriptions for 2013/14 and will then hand over to Andy, who agreed to take on the running of the 100 Club.
Chairman’s Report
Roy began by thanking everyone for giving up their time to attend the AGM. He thanked our Treasurer, Andy, for his thorough report and for his hard work over the past year, and hoped that he would continue in this role. He also expressed his appreciation for Andy’s help with Hall matters on occasions when he was working away. Roy also thanked Sue for all the hard work that she does as Secretary on behalf of the Committee to ensure that things run smoothly. This often involves meeting people and resolving issues in the evenings and at weekends. In addition, he thanked Ruth Webb as the Minutes Secretary and Ruth Roberts, our Publicity Officer, for all her fine work and good ideas, especially for the work that she has put into the village website and newsletter which are so valuable to the community. Roy then thanked John Lewis-Tunster, who is retiring from both the running of the 100 Club and from the Committee, for all his hard work on the 100 Club and for ensuring that it continues to flourish in the current economic climate. He also thanked John for all his efforts as a Committee member over the past twenty years. On behalf of the Committee, Roy also thanked Malcolm Thomas for resolving plumbing problems at the Hall, which he carried out without monetary reward. This act of community spirit is very much appreciated.
He expressed concern about the fall in letting income and noted that, were it not for our loyal supporters, Llanteg and Badgers Short Mat Bowls Clubs, Llanteg History Society, Mothers’ Union, Snowdrops and Hughes News, then we would simply not survive. The Hall income is no doubt due to the economic climate and competition from other community halls. Roy expressed his appreciation for all those who use the Hall for various functions including funeral teas and the drop-in sessions with the local police community support officer. On behalf of the committee, Roy thanked all those who made donations to the hall, along with all those who help in whatever way they can to make the hall function. The concert by the Pembroke and District Male Voice Choir in March 2012 was very well supported and we need to look for more such ways of raising funds, because what small amount of capital we have invested will dwindle away unless we adopt and develop other income streams. We must continue to promote the use of the hall, within and outside the community, in order to maintain the facilities that we provide here.
Energy costs are, without doubt, set to rise again and, despite being a charitable organisation, we still have to pay the market price for energy, so we must be frugal with our energy use in the forthcoming year. Our heating energy costs are of particular concern. We must try to get heating oil as cheaply as possible and we intend to put cavity wall insulation into the long west wall of the Main Hall, but the rest of the building is already insulated to as high a standard as possible. The orientation of the building precludes the use of solar panels. We can never compete with an energy-efficient new-build hall which would have the opportunity to tap into renewable energy and energy conservation systems. It is very unsatisfactory that grants for improving energy efficiency are available for domestic properties, whilst nothing exists for community halls such as ours. Finally, Roy expressed his appreciation to all the Committee members for all their enthusiasm and for working together so well as a team over the past year.

Election of Committee
The following Officers were elected:
Chairman – Roy James
Secretary – Sue James
Treasurer – Andy Webb
100 Club – Andy Webb
Ruth Roberts agreed to continue as Publicity Officer, running the village website and compiling the Newsletter.
Ruth Webb agreed to continue as Minutes Secretary.
Apart from John Lewis-Tunster, all the members present agreed to stay on the Committee and Neville Ruff has agreed to continue to represent Badgers Short Mat Bowls Club. The other committee members who were not present will be asked if they wish to remain on it.
Matters Arising
Tony Brinsden proposed a vote of thanks to the Committee members for all their hard work over the years and Roy thanked him on behalf of the Committee.
This concluded the AGM
A committee meeting was held on 15th April 2013.
Present
Roy James, Sue James, John Lewis-Tunster, Tony Brinsden, Neville Ruff; Ruth Webb, Andy Webb
Apologies
Jill Chatwin, Arwyn Owen, Ruth Roberts, Wendy Jones; Rod Bramhall, Dilys Jenkinson
The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.
Matters arising
100 Club –The final three draws for 2012/13 was carried out and the winners were:
4th draw: 1st prize No. 81 Roy James (£25); 2nd prize No. 56 Ronnie Glanville (£15); 3rd prize No. 36 Megan Brinsden (£10).
5th draw: 1st prize No. 90 Badgers Bowls (£25); 2nd prize No. 69 Graeme Jones (£15); 3rd prize No. 81 Roy James (£10).
6th draw: 1st prize No. 46 Rebekah Chatwin (£25); 2nd prize No. 24 Jeanne Brewin (£15); 3rd prize No. 13 Audrey James (£10).
In future, the 100 Club draws will be done at approximately two-monthly intervals and, whenever possible, will be done at a Hall event.
Car Park Wall
1) A photograph of the new wall was taken on Saturday 17th November 2012. Several committee members attended. Nigel Morgans was unable to be there but his partner, Alison, very kindly came as his representative.
2) Roy will put a ‘No Exit’ sign inside the top entrance to the car park. This will be an entrance only because the visibility on exit is very poor. The lower entrance will continue to be used for traffic to come both in and out.
3) We will source luminous strips for the edges of the gate posts to make them more visible to car park users at night.
Village Newsletter and Website – The website is running well and Ruth Roberts is currently giving it a ‘spring clean’ and is checking all the links. Contributions are coming in for the Spring/Summer Newsletter and Ruth expects that we should have around £250 for advertisements for this year.
Grants Available for Improvements – Awards for All Wales will give grants of up to £5000. Because our savings are greater than twice our annual income, we would have to provide some cash of our own or volunteer hours contribution. The Pembrokeshire Impact Fund has now finished; the Welsh Assembly Government has withdrawn the funding for this.
Heat Conservation in the Main Hall
Exenergy quoted ……(inc. 5% VAT) for cavity wall insulation for the long outside wall some months ago but getting another quote has proved problematical because almost all the other companies deal only with domestic insulation. PAVS have indicated that, under these circumstances, it may be possible to obtain a grant on the basis of the one quote.
Outside Lighting – Roy will investigate the possibility of a grant for the improved car park lighting. It was reported that one of the bowlers had injured his head on the PIR wall light outside the kitchen. Roy and Sue will contact this gentleman and the light will be replaced as a matter of urgency. We will also paint white strips on the edges of the steps up to the kitchen so that they will be more easily visible at night.
Kitchen Improvements – We have obtained two quotes for kitchen improvements which include more storage space, a new sink at standard worktop height and a source of heating. We hope to be able to obtain a grant to pay for these.
External and Internal Maintenance – The Probation Service have very kindly agreed to paint the outside of the Hall for us, including the plinth. They use a tower rather than ladders and this may not fit into the narrow space behind the back of the Hall, so they may not be able to paint that west-facing wall. We must provide the paint and the brushes. They will also clean the guttering. Neville said that Valero are sometimes able to provide financial assistance to communities, including village halls and he will provide Sue with an address so that she can contact the company. We will get a working party together to touch up the damaged paint inside the Hall.
Forthcoming Events
1) Llanteg Community Association Quiz Evening, Saturday 18th May at 7.30 pm in Llanteg Village Hall. This will be hosted by John Lewis-Tunster and a light supper will be provided. Bring your own alcoholic drinks if you wish. Teams of up to four people, tickets £5 per person.
2) Walk around Carew, Saturday 13th July. More details later.
Because of our need to raise more money for the Hall, members were asked to think of some ideas for the next meeting.
Correspondence
1) The Hall is zero rated again for this year.
2) The PRS and PPL joint music licence is now due for this year. They will let us know how much we owe when they have seen our accounts.
Any Other Business
1) Thanks were expressed to Llanteg Short Mat Bowls Club for their very generous donation of £100.
2) The next electrical safety inspection of the Hall is now due and Sue will ask Peter Brace, who usually does this, to provide a quote.
3) The Chairman of Llanteg Community Association has suggested the possibility of amalgamating this with the Village Hall Committee. This will be discussed at the next meeting. We can assure all the Hall users that, if this merger did go ahead, they would not be affected in any way.
4) It was suggested that we should ask the Police for a donation for the use of the Hall for the bimonthly Police Community Support Officer drop-in sessions.
NEXT MEETING: TUESDAY 14TH MAY 2013 AT 7.30 PM