Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Meetings 2011

A committee meeting was held on 10th November 2011

Present

Sue James, Tony Brinsden, Dilys Jenkinson, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb, Jill Chatwin


Apologies

Ruth Roberts, Roy James, Rod Bramhall, John Lewis-Tunster



The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.



Matters arising

100 Club – All subscriptions for 2011/12 have now been received. The next draw will be held at the Carol Service on 4th December.

Car park fence – Roy and Alan Davies will do the repairs to the new wall as soon as their work schedules and the weather permit.

Village Newsletter – The Newsletters were handed out to members to be distributed.

Committee Room Blinds – John has been paid for buying and fitting these in the Committee Room.

Forthcoming Events
1) Murder Mystery – Saturday 19th November, 7.30 pm. Tickets £6 each. SeeSaw Productions will present a play set in the Elizabethan era. We will provide a light buffet supper but please bring your own drinks. Sue asked committee members to let her know how many tickets they have sold.
2) Community Carol Service – Sunday 4th December, 3 pm. Hot drinks, squash, mince pies and biscuits will be provided.
3) Pembroke Male Voice Choir – Sunday 11th March 2012 at 8 pm.
4) Show in the Village Hall – The 1940s style show with music, songs and sketches (to be presented by John Lewis-Tunster and Henry Lewis) has now been postponed until after Easter next year. More details later.



Correspondence


To date, we have paid the Performing Right Society (PRS) for a licence to play music. PRS acts for, and on behalf of, songwriters, composers and music publishers. The law has now been changed so that community buildings playing recorded music are now also required to hold a PPL licence. PPL licenses the public performance of recorded music on behalf of record companies and performers. PRS for Music will act as an agent for PPL, issuing a joint licence which grants permission from both organisations to play recorded music and from PRS for Music to host live music. As a result, the cost of our annual licence this year will be doubled (from £42 to £84).


Any Other Business


1) An A-board to advertise Hall events would cost £80-£180 (depending on the size) + VAT and carriage. It was agreed that this would be too expensive. A possible alternative would be a removeable sign suspended from a gibbet by the wall outside the Hall. It was also suggested that perhaps the garage would let us display adverts for Hall events near the door into the shop because lots of people would be likely to see them there. Sue will ask them about this.


2) Rolls of aluminium foil (£7 for 2.5 sq.m), suitable for putting behind the radiators in the Main Hall to reflect the heat into the room, are available from B&Q.


3) Peter Brace has suggested that the most economical type of outside lighting for the ramp up to the main entrance would be one which is switched on from the inside. However, it was felt that we need some sort of PIR light to illuminate the access ramp both for people coming to open up the Hall and for those who were locking up when leaving.


4) John’s estimate for various aspects of external maintenance which need to be done at some point was discussed. These include cleaning all the plastic (fascia boards, gutters etc), repainting lines in the car park and repainting the dark green round the base of the walls. In view of the current state of our funds, it was felt that much of this could be done using our own volunteer labour.


5) Fire safety – Andy will display the emergency evacuation plans and instructions at various points in the Hall and will remove the out of date notice from the entrance

NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 25TH JANUARY 2012 AT 8 PM


A committee meeting was held on 5th October 2011.
Present

Sue James, Tony Brinsden, John Lewis-Tunster, Neville Ruff, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb and Len and Hilary Harvey (SeeSaw Productions)



Apologies

Ruth Roberts, Jill Chatwin, Roy James, Arwyn Owen, Mollie James, Wendy Jones

The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.



Matters arising

100 Club – We have 51 members this year and John has provided Andy with a list of these. The third draw for 2011/12 was carried out and the winning numbers were: 1st prize £25 (No. 45), Owen Brinsden; 2nd prize £15 (No. 38), Sue James; 3rd prize £10 (No. 3), Darran James.

Car park fence – The damage to the pillar on the new wall next to the lower entrance to the car park has not yet been repaired but it is hoped that Alan Davies will do this in a fortnight’s time. In the meantime, John has put bollards there to prevent any further problems. Alison Ebsworth (PLANED) would like some photographs of the old fence and of the new wall. Andy will contact her when the wall has been repaired and Nigel Morgans has agreed to be photographed alongside it when this has been done. Andy has written to Alison to thank PLANED for the grant, saying how much the wall and information board have improved the appearance of the Hall, and how much Hall users have benefited from the modified access to the kitchen. We have now paid the invoice for our share of the cost of the work (which is 10% of the total). The ‘No Exit’ sign for the inside of the upper entrance to the car park and the “No Entry” sign for the lower entrance will be installed at a later date.

Financial situation – Andy has opened a Community Savings Account with HSBC.  Two payments have been paid directly into our current account by Pembrokeshire County Council for hiring the Hall for Good Neighbour Scheme meetings. A new Certificate of Employer’s Liability has been received from our insurer and will be displayed in the Hall.

Village Newsletter – Ruth Roberts would like to receive any contributions for the next Newsletter by 15th October so that it can be distributed by mid-November.

Committee Room Blinds – John has fitted these inside the recesses of the windows and it was agreed that they were a great improvement on the old ones.
Fundraising

1) Folk duo Blackheart – The performance on 24th August was, unfortunately, not very well attended but those who did come had a thoroughly enjoyable evening and were entertained by two very talented musicians.

2) Quiz and Bingo Evening - This has been postponed until sometime next year, possibly February. More details later.

3) Show in the Village Hall – The 1940s style show with music, songs and sketches (to be presented by John Lewis-Tunster and Henry Lewis) has now been postponed until after Easter next year. More details later.
Forthcoming Events

1) Murder Mystery – Saturday 19th November, 7.30 pm. Tickets £6 each. SeeSaw Productions will present a play set in the Elizabethan era. We will provide a light buffet supper but please bring your own drinks.

5) Pembroke Male Voice Choir – Sunday 11th March 2012 (provisional date) at 8 pm.

 
Correspondence

None

 
Any Other Business

1) It was agreed that we need an A-board which could be put outside the Hall in order to advertise Hall events. Alternatively, it was suggested that perhaps the garage would let us put one on their forecourt because lots of people would be likely to see it there. Sue will ask them about this.

2) Before the cold weather starts in earnest, we will need to install aluminium panels behind the radiators in the Main Hall to reflect the heat into the room, and we need better window coverings there to help with insulation.

3) The Badgers Short Mat Bowls group have very kindly put an advertisement in the Pembrokeshire Short Mat Bowls Association Fixture List, recommending Llanteg Village Hall for functions “at fair prices”.

4) The lighting on the outside of the Hall needs to be improved, particularly over the access ramp. We will ask Peter Brace’s advice as to the best way of doing this.

5) John submitted an estimate for various aspects of external maintenance which need to be done at some point. These include cleaning all the plastic (fascia boards, gutters etc), repainting lines in the car park and repainting the dark green round the base of the walls. This will be discussed at the next meeting. 
 
A committee meeting was held on 10th August 2011.


Present
Sue James, Roy James, Tony Brinsden, Arwyn Owen, John Lewis-Tunster, Neville Ruff, Ruth Webb, Andy WebbApologies

Ruth Roberts, Jill Chatwin



The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.



Matters arising



100 Club –The second draw for 2011/12 was carried out. The winning numbers were: 1st prize £25 (No. 88), Ruth Roberts; 2nd prize £15 (No. 3), Darren James; 3rd prize £10 (No. 77), Mr and Mrs Hinman. The balance in the 100 Club account is £492.91.



Car park fence – Sue will write to Nigel Morgans to thank him for his excellent work in building the new wall and improving the access to the kitchen. PLANED has now sent us the invoice for our share of the cost of the work (10% of the total cost).No-one has admitted to damaging the pillar on the new wall next to the lower entrance to the car park. Nigel Morgans has sent two quotes for repairing it, both of which include putting a reinforcing bar inside the structure. One is to restore as original; the other is to increase the height of the pillar to one metre (which has been approved by Roger Williams of the Trunk Roads Agency) in order to make it more visible to people when driving out of the car park. The cost of repairs would not exceed the excess on our insurance premium so we will have to pay for them out of Hall funds. Roy will get a ‘No Exit’ sign to put inside the upper entrance to the car park and may possibly get a “No Entry” sign for the lower entrance which would make the presence of the pillar even more obvious to drivers leaving the car park.



Financial situation –There are two possible HSBC savings accounts that would be suitable for us. One is a Community Savings Account, which pays 0.05% interest and which could be operated via the internet. The other is a High Interest Deposit Bond which has different interest rates, depending on whether the money is left in there for three months (0.4%), six months, one year or two years (1.15%). Money can only be withdrawn at the end of the chosen term or a breakage fee of £100 or £200 is charged (depending on the length of the chosen term). It was agreed that we should opt for the Community Savings Account because we would be able to access our money immediately in an emergency and the High Interest Deposit Account would not earn much more interest for us.
Village Newsletter – Nothing to report.



Fire Safety Risk Assessment and Hall Electrics –The fire assembly point will be at the far end of the car park, furthest away from the Hall and Roy will get a sign for this. The evacuation procedures will be incorporated into the hirer’s rental agreement so that they will have the information before they use the Hall. Andy has bought a book in which to record our safety inspections.



Peter Brace, who has done electrical work for us before, has tested the Hall electrics. The electrics have now been tested and we have the appropriate certification for the installation, including emergency lighting and portable appliances.
Committee Room Blinds – John has provided prices for purchasing and installing two new blinds in the Committee Room. It was agreed that metal Venetian blinds would be more durable than roller blinds. These will be cut and fitted inside the recesses of the windows.



Forthcoming Events
1) Folk duo, Blackheart –Wednesday 24th August, in the Hall. Doors open 7.30 pm. Tickets £6 to include tea, coffee and biscuits. A raffle will be held in the interval. Tickets are available now from Hall Committee members, or pay on the door.
2) Quiz and Bingo Evening, Saturday 17th September, 7 pm. Tickets £5 and a maximum of four people in each team. This will be held in the Hall in conjunction with Llanteg Community Association and will be hosted by John Lewis-Tunster. Light refreshments will be provided and people can bring their own drinks.
3) Show in the Village Hall, Saturday 15th or 22nd October (provisional date, to be confirmed). Please note change from the provisional date of Saturday 1st October. John Lewis-Tunster and Henry Lewis will present a 1940s style show with music, songs and sketches.
2).Murder Mystery – Saturday 19th November (time to be arranged). We will provide a light buffet supper and the audience can bring their own drinks. Hilary Harvey will be invited to attend our next meeting to discuss the format of the evening.
3) Pembroke Male Voice Choir – Sunday 11th March 2012 (provisional date) at 8 pm.

 
Any Other Business

1) www.beadsupermarket.co.uk, Sunday 24th July, 10.30 am – 3.30 pm in the Village Hall. The organiser advertised extensively in the local area and was so pleased with the number of people who came to the bead sale and bead workshops that she gave us an extra £20 for the Hall rental. She hopes to come back again next year.
2) It was agreed that we need a board outside the Hall, which is visible from the road, in order to advertise Hall events.
3) Some people have pointed out that the PIR light outside the kitchen door is too low, now that the access to the kitchen has been changed.
4) Ways in which to help with heat insulation in the Hall during the winter were discussed. The main problem is the fact that there is no insulation in the long outside wall of the Main Hall because this was not required at the time that this part of the Hall was built. The grant situation for insulating village halls is different from that for domestic premises and Roy will ask PLANED if they know of any possible sources of funding for insulation for this outside wall. In the meantime, it was suggested that we could install aluminium panels behind the radiators to reflect the heat into the room and we need better window coverings to help with insulation.

5) Pembrokeshire County Council have hired the Hall for Good Neighbour Scheme meetings and will pay the money directly into our bank account.

6) We now have all the paperwork for the renewed SWALEC contract.

7) The boiler has been serviced.

NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 5TH OCTOBER 2011 AT 8 PM


A committee meeting was held on 12th July 2011.


Present

Sue James, Roy James, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb, Jill Chatwin, Neville Ruff, Dilys Jenkinson


Apologies
John Lewis-Tunster, Rod Bramhall, Ruth Roberts, Arwyn Owen


The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.



Matters arising
100 Club –The first draw for 2011/12 was done at the Llanteg History Society meeting on 21st June 2011. The winning numbers were: 1st prize £25 (No. 37), Andrew Mason; 2nd prize £15 (No. 66), Rob Chatwin; 3rd prize £10 (No. 64), Oliver Furneaux. The balance in the 100 Club account is £502.91.
Car park fence – The work on the wall and the external access to the kitchen has been completed and the information board has been installed. Nigel Morgans will send his invoice to PLANED and Signspeed have already been paid for the information board. All those present agreed that the new wall looked very good and Sue will write to Nigel Morgans to thank him for his excellent work. PLANED would like a photograph to be taken of the wall but, unfortunately, it was discovered today that it had been damaged by an unknown vehicle so this will not now be done until it has been repaired. The damage was to the pillar at the innermost end of the wall at the lower entrance to the car park. Andy will contact Roger Williams at the Trunk Roads Agency to discuss the possibility of raising the height of this pillar so that it will be more visible to car park users. It was agreed that it was likely to be knocked down again if it was rebuilt in its present form. Roy will get a “No Exit” sign for the upper entrance to the car park.
Financial situation – PLANED will shortly be sending us a bill for our 10% share of the cost of the wall, external access to the kitchen and the information board. Since the last meeting (8th June), £58.47 has been paid to SWALEC. Andy has found two possible HSBC deposit accounts. One is a Business High Interest deposit account with an interest rate of 0.4% which requires money to be deposited for three months before any withdrawals can be made. The other is a Community Savings Account and Andy will contact the Narberth branch for further details of this.
Village Newsletter – Nothing to report.
Fire Safety Risk Assessment –A floor plan of the Hall which shows evacuation routes from the emergency exits, and the new evacuation procedures have been laminated and displayed in the Hall. The assembly point will be at the far end of the car park, furthest away from the Hall. The evacuation procedures will be incorporated into the hirer’s rental agreement so that they will have the information before they use the Hall. Andy will buy a safety inspection book in which to record our inspections.
Roy and Sue have contacted electricians to inspect the Hall electrics.
Committee Room Blinds – John has provided prices for purchasing and installing two new blinds in the Committee Room. These will be cut and fitted inside the recesses of the windows.
Fund Raising
1) Folk duo, Blackheart –Wednesday 24th August, in the Hall. Tickets £6 to include tea, coffee and biscuits. A raffle will be held in the interval.
2).Murder Mystery – Saturday 19th November. We will provide a light buffet supper and the audience can bring their own drinks. Hilary Harvey will be invited to attend our next meeting to discuss the format of the evening.
3) Pembroke Male Voice Choir – Sunday 11th March 2012 (provisional date) at 8 pm.



Forthcoming Events

1) www.beadsupermarket.co.uk, Sunday 24th July, 10.30 am – 3.30 pm in the Village Hall.
2) Ludchurch Show, Friday 5th August.
3) Folk duo, Blackheart, Wednesday 24th August in the Village Hall. (Please note the change of date from Wednesday 17th August).
4) Quiz and Bingo Evening, Saturday 17th September, 7 pm. Tickets £5 and a maximum of four people ineach team. This will be held in the Hall in conjunction withLlanteg Community Association and will be hosted by John Lewis-Tunster. Light refreshments will be provided and people can bring their own drinks.
5) Show in the Village Hall, Saturday 1st October (provisional date, to be confirmed). John Lewis-Tunster and Henry Lewis will present a 1940s style show with music, songs and sketches.


Any Other Business
1) Electricity contract – The contract with SWALEC has been renewed and the direct debit forms have been sent off.
2) Lists of forthcoming events will be displayed on the notice boards in the village and will be sent to Amroth and Red Roses village halls. We could also put them in information centres (eg Saundersfoot) and ask local accommodation providers if they would display them for their visitors.


NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 10TH AUGUST 2011 AT 8 PM

A committee meeting was held on 8th June 2011.Present
John Lewis-Tunster, Sue James, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb, Jill Chatwin, Dilys Jenkinson, Arwyn Owen, Neville Ruff

Apologies
Roy James, Tony Brinsden, Ruth Roberts, Wendy Jones, Rod Bramhall
The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.

Matters arising
100 Club – It is hoped that we should have between 50 and 60 members this year. Most of the renewals are now in and several new members have joined. The current balance in the 100 Club account is £478.91. All the winners’ cheques for 2010/11 have been presented apart from the one for £12 for Owen Brinsden from the draw held on 23rd March 2011. The first draw for 2011/12 will be done at the Llanteg History Society meeting on 17th May 2011.
Car park fence – A Village Hall Committee meeting was held on Wednesday 20th April to discuss the tenders for the wall to replace the rotten car park fence. The Trunk Roads Agency has stipulated that, for safety reasons, the maximum height of the wall cannot be greater than 600 mm. Present at that meeting were Tony Brinsden, Neville Ruff, Rod Bramhall, Sue James, Andy Webb, Ruth Webb, Dilys Jenkinson and Jessica Morgan (PLANED). PLANED will pay for 90% of the work and the Hall, 10%. PLANED received four bids, from Silver Hill Builders, Merry Bros, JLT Designs and A.N. Morgans. After careful consideration, it was decided that Nigel Morgans (A.N. Morgans) of Whitland should be asked to carry out the work. In conjunction with PLANED, Andy drew up a contract which was delivered to Nigel Morgans on 28th April 2011. Work is expected to start on 6th May 2011 and the contract stipulates that the work must be finished by 30th June 2011. The PLANED contract is effectively a fixed price one and allows for 10% to be paid on acceptance of the contract. This will be paid to Nigel Morgans by PLANED and they will then invoice the Hall for our share of the bill (approximately £1250). As part of the contract, the builders will also place a fence panel in front of the oil tank and will install an information board in front of that. The board is being produced by Rachel Hughes at Signspeed (Cresselly) to the same design as the one that they did for Mountain Chapel, and will show a map of Llanteg as the centrepiece, together with information on the village and its history. The steps from the Hall kitchen to the car park will also be modified to make them safer to use (see Minutes of the meeting held on 23rd March 2011).Nigel Morgans has said that regular users of the Hall will be able to use the car park in the evenings during the building work.
Andy contacted of Mel Stephens (Pembrokeshire County Council’s Lighting Department) who arranged for Western Power to remove the lighting pole from the upper entrance to the car park and, at Roy’s request, the paper bank has also been removed.
Financial situation – We currently have £2656.10 in our HSBC account. We have received a generous donation of £200 from Llanteg Short Mat Bowls Club. Roy and Wendy will ask Santander to transfer all but £1 to our current account.
Village Newsletter and Website – The Spring/Summer Newsletter was handed out to members for delivery. Copies will also be given to all members of Amroth Community Council. Clayton’s charge for printing the Newsletter has increased from £108 to £164, but we asked for about 20 more copies this time. We have received £190 for advertisements in the Newsletter (plus more to come), and we are grateful to Amroth Community Council for their donation of £200 towards to cost of our newsletters.
Fire Safety Risk Assessment –Andy has received no further comments on the draft of his Fire Safety Risk Assessment since the last meeting, so he will finalise his report for the next meeting.
We will need to have the fire extinguishers and electrics in the Hall checked this year. Neville will contact one of the members of the Badgers Short Mat Bowls group who may be able to check the electrics for us
Hall Cooking Facilities – It was agreed that we should purchase a combi microwave oven with as simple controls as possible. This will cost about £80.
Committee Room Blinds – John will get quotes to replace the two broken Venetian blinds. These will be fitted inside the window recesses to prevent damage from chairs etc being pushed back against them.

Fund Raising –
1) Another murder mystery evening, perhaps in the autumn. The company who did this for us before has now moved away, but Dilys has a contact who may be able to do one.
2) A performance by a male voice choir. Sue has contacted Pembroke Male Voice Choir and is awaiting a reply.
3) Night Out/Noson Allan scheme. This group is part of the Arts Council of Wales and works in partnership with local authorities. The group helps community venues such as village halls to stage different types of professional entertainment (e.g., theatre, music, dance, circus, puppetry). If a hall’s application is successful, the scheme pays the performance fee. The hall then puts on the event, promotes it, obtains the appropriate licences and pays back the ticket income up to a maximum of the performance fee. Further details are available on http://www.nightout.org.uk/.

Forthcoming Events
1) www.beadsupermarket.co.uk, Sunday 24th July, 8.30 am – 3.30 pm in the Village Hall.
2) Ludchurch Show, Friday 5th August.
3) Quiz and Bingo Evening, Saturday 17th September, 7 pm. This will be held in the Hall in conjunction with
Llanteg Community Association and will be hosted by John Lewis-Tunster. Light refreshments will be provided and people can bring their own drinks.
4) Show in the Village Hall, Saturday 1st October (provisional date, to be confirmed). John Lewis-Tunster and Henry Lewis will present a 1940s style show with music, songs and sketches.

Any Other Business
1) PLANED is producing a Pembrokeshire Community Halls website to promote village halls and their activities, so we will be able to post the details of our hall and its facilities on this site and this will give us free advertising.
2) Sue has received a request to borrow chairs for a wedding on Saturday 2nd July. It was agreed that we should charge £1/chair, plus a £50 refundable deposit.
3) The Caravan Club has asked to use the Hall and its car park for a week end in 2012. Sue will ask for more information about the event.
4) Jill would like to book the Hall for Saturday 5th May 2012 for a geocaching group.

NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 8TH JUNE 2011 AT 8 PM


Dear All
Several builders have been asked to tender for building the wall to replace the broken fence around the Village Hall car park. There will be a Village Hall Committee meeting in the Hall on Wednesday 20th April at 8 pm with Jessica Morgan from PLANED, to decide which of the tenders to accept. Ruth Roberts has also produced six proposals for the information board so we also need to decide on which of these we want.
I hope that as many of you as possible will be able to attend the meeting.
Kind regards
Ruth Webb (Minutes Secretary

A committee meeting was held on 23rd March 2011.
Present
John Lewis-Tunster, Sue James, Roy James, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb, Jill Chatwin, Dilys Jenkinson, Tony Brinsden, Arwyn Owen, Neville Ruff.

Apologies
Ruth Roberts, Wendy Jones.
The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.

Matters arising
100 Club –The fifth draw for 2010/11 was done at the Llanteg History Society meeting on Tuesday 15th February 2011. The winning numbers were: 1st prize £20 (No. 19), Rosemary Maudsley; 2nd prize £12 (No. 28), Rila Bonnett; 3rd prize £6 (No. 30), Jane Harries. The sixth and final draw of the year was held tonight. The winning numbers were: 1st prize £20 (No. 45), Owen Brinsden; 2nd prize £12 (No. 62), Margaret Brinsden; 3rd prize £6 (No. 37), Andrew Mason. The current balance in the 100 Club account is £138. John hopes to increase the number of members to more than 50 and to get as many people as possible to pay by Standing Order.

Car park fence – Funding is available for communities such as Llanteg which have done an Action Plan. PLANED wishes to support the Village Hall Project to replace the rotten fence with a wall (40 m long) which would incorporate a village information board in the design. Bronwen Thomas, an architect who was commissioned by PLANED, has suggested a stone wall which would match the existing stone facing on the end wall of the Hall. Dave and Nigel Griffiths, local builders, have produced another design which would include alternating stone-faced and rendered sections which would also match the external finish on the Hall. It was agreed that the preferred design would be the simpler one suggested by the Griffiths’.

It was also agreed that the exit from the kitchen to the car park should be altered to make it safer because the current steps are very steep and it is difficult to see the edges of them at night. It was suggested that the level outside the kitchen door should be raised to form a platform with a hand rail and that new steps, also with a hand rail, should be constructed so that people leaving the kitchen would turn right to go down these and would trigger the PIR light as they did so. The edges of the new steps should be painted white so that they were easy to see.

It was agreed that we should draw up a list for PLANED of what we would like to include and Andy and John offered to do this as soon as possible.

Quotes from three (preferably local) builders will be required and PLANED will draft a tender for our selected design and list of requirements. PLANED would pay 90% of the cost of the work and the Village Hall Committee would be asked to pay 10%, with the proviso that the work must be completed by the beginning of July 2011. Quotes for the work will have to be obtained as soon as possible in order to meet this deadline. PLANED will expect the selected contractor to manage the entire project. The following will be asked to quote:
1) John Lewis-Tunster (JLT Designs) in conjunction with Steve Harland and Alan Davies.
2) Merry Bros.
3) Silver Hill (Euros Hughes).

Village Newsletter and Website – The deadline for contributions for the Spring Newsletter is 15th April.

Fire Safety Risk Assessment –Andy provided a draft of his Fire Safety Risk Assessment for discussion. It was agreed that:
1) We should have a book in which to record when our safety checks are done and by whom.
2) A copy of the fire evacuation procedures should be laminated and displayed in a prominent place in the Hall and that a copy of these should be given to each hirer.
3) A fire marshal should be appointed by each hirer and that this should be written into the hiring agreement.

Regular users should nominate a fire marshal for each occasion on which they use the Hall.

Hall Cooking Facilities –In the past, when there was a cooker and a fridge in the Hall, there were problems because some hirers did not clean them after use. It was therefore decided that we should not purchase a new cooker and fridge but that we should replace the microwave, possibly with a combi one.

Fund Raising
1) John Lewis-Tunster offered to host another Quiz and Bingo Evening and will suggest some dates. Light refreshments will be provided as before and people can bring their own drinks.
2) Another murder mystery evening, perhaps in the autumn.
3) A performance by a male voice choir. Jill will contact Pembroke Male Voice Choir.
Forthcoming Events
1) Do-it-Yourself Family Barbecue, organised by Llanteg Community Association – Easter Sunday (24th April) from 5 pm in the Old School Garden.
2) www.beadsupermarket.co.uk – change of date from 30th April to 24th July, 8.30 am – 3.30 pm in the Village Hall.
3) Show in the Village Hall – John Lewis-Tunster and Henry Lewis will not now be able to do a show in the Hal in May as planned but hope to do one in September instead.
Correspondence
1) Performing Rights – Sue will do the return for this.
2) Rates – The Hall is zero-rated again this year.

Any Other Business
1) The blinds in the Committee Room have broken and need to be replaced.
2) Neville commented that, despite the heating being on, the Hall was very cold at times during the hard winter.

NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 4TH MAY 2011 AT 8 PM


ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

WEDNESDAY 19TH JANUARY 2011
Present
John Lewis-Tunster, Sue James, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb, Jill Chatwin, Dilys Jenkinson, Viv Bramhall, Rod Bramhall, Pam Bowen

Apologies
Roy James, Tony Brinsden, Ruth Roberts, Wendy Jones, Neville Ruff, Arwyn Owen

Minutes of Previous AGM
These were read and confirmed.
Treasurer’s Report
Andy Webb presented his report and Statement of Accounts for the year ending 31st October 2010 and copies were handed round. ...... However, our bank and building society accounts contain healthy balances which have been built up over the years, so this is of no immediate concern but we need to be aware that any future abnormal expenses will have either to be paid out from our reserves or be grant-funded.
Income – The total for the year is £3571.88, about £400 less than for 2008/9 and more than £1800 less than the last full year for which Val Rushton (Lighter Life) hired the hall. However, this year’s figure includes two large donations totalling £700, without which the income shows a sizeable drop compared with the two previous years. Hall hire has fallen by just over £1000 since last year, due mainly to the absence of Val Rushton and the Craft Classes. The income from Hughes News has been less than last year but last year’s figure included some arrears from the previous year. Our main users, Hughes News, Llanteg Short Mat Bowls and Badgers Short Mat Bowls Clubs have been very steady for the past few years and we depend on them very much to maintain our income. ......... are a welcome new user, having contributed £240 over the year. We need to attract more users but, with new halls at Red Roses and Amroth/Summerhill and the well-established one at Tavernspite, we are in a tough market.

Expenditure – The £.... spent on kitchen alterations during the year has greatly improved the kitchen access so that it can now be used without disturbing users in the main hall. Costs have been similar to or lower than last year. Maintenance was very low, perhaps because we spent a lot last year. Inevitably, oil was a big expense and looks likely to remain so in the current financial climate. All we can do is to minimise our oil usage. Dŵr Cymru has not billed us for water rates for 2009/10 so this expense is at least postponed until next year.

Newsletter and Website – Ruth Roberts has produced the Newsletter with only a small cost rise which has been more than offset by the increased advertising revenue that she has generated. The website costs are down, despite the fact that it has been revised and improved, so once again, we are indebted to Ruth for her immense contribution which looks even more valuable when compared with what some other Village Hall Associations spend on their websites and publications.

100 Club – John Lewis-Tunster has raised another £300 for hall funds from the 100 Club.

Donations – We owe grateful thanks to Badgers for their substantial contribution towards the new tables bought last year and for their usual donation for the OAP/Carol Service tea, to D & N Griffiths for their generous contribution towards the kitchen alterations that they carried out so efficiently, and to Llanteg Bowls for their kind donation towards the new tables.

100 Club Report
John reported that there had been a slight drop in members of the 100 Club. From 1st April 2011, subscriptions must be paid either by Standing Order or cheque (sent either to John or Andy). John regrets that he can no longer collect cash because this has proved to be too time consuming. He will write to all existing members in February to explain this change and will put also put the information on the village website. At the end of March, John will give Andy the figure that can be transferred from the 100 Club to the hall for the year 2010/11.

Chairman’s Report
Roy began by apologising for being unable to attend the meeting but thanked all who were able to be present. He thanked our Treasurer, Andy, for his thorough report and for his hard work over the past year and hoped that he would continue in this role. Roy also thanked Sue for all the hard work that she does as Secretary on behalf of the Committee to ensure that things run smoothly and in addition, thanked Ruth Webb as the Minutes Secretary and Ruth Roberts, our Publicity Officer, for all her fine work and good ideas, especially for the work that she has put into the village website and newsletter. She has made them an inspiration to other communities. Roy then thanked John Lewis-Tunster for ensuring that the 100 Club continues to flourish because this is an important source of income for the Hall. The Treasurer’s Report showed that the lettings income is down yet again and, had it not been for donations, then our losses would have been more significant. He thanked out loyal supporters, Llanteg and Badgers Short Mat Bowls Clubs, Llanteg History Society, Mothers’ Union, ......... and Hughes News. He noted that the decline in hall rental is worrying and is no doubt due to the current economic climate and competition from other community halls. We must all continue to promote the use of the hall, within and outside the community in order to maintain the facilities that we provide here. Perhaps we should look at more innovative ways of raising funds because, ultimately, our capital will dwindle away unless we adopt and develop other income streams. Energy costs are, without doubt, set to rise so we must be frugal with our energy use in the forthcoming year. Possible ways of reducing our energy usage include adding more insulation, using solar panels or changing energy providers, all of which require further research and costing. Finally, Roy expressed his appreciation for all the Committee’s enthusiasm and efforts over the past year.

Election of Committee
The following Officers were elected:
Chairman – Roy James
Secretary – Sue James
Treasurer – Andy Webb
100 Club – John Lewis-Tunster
Ruth Roberts agreed to continue as Publicity Officer, running the village website and compiling the Newsletter.
Ruth Webb agreed to continue as Minutes Secretary.
All the members present agreed to stay on the Committee and Rod Bramhall agreed to represent Llanteg Bowls. The other committee members who were not present will be asked if they wish to remain on it.
This concluded the AGM.


A committee meeting was held on 19th January 2011.
Present
John Lewis-Tunster, Sue James, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb, Jill Chatwin, Dilys Jenkinson, Viv Bramhall, Rod Bramhall, Pam Bowen
Apologies
Roy James, Tony Brinsden, Ruth Roberts, Wendy Jones; Neville Ruff, Arwyn Owen

The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed. Dilys Jenkinson, Viv Bramhall, Rod Bramhall and Pam Bowen were welcomed to the meeting. Rod Bramhall agreed to represent Llanteg Short Mat Bowls Club on the Committee.
Matters arising
100 Club – The fourth draw for 2010/11 was done at this meeting instead of at the Family Tea after the Carol Service on Sunday 12 December 2010. The winning numbers were: 1st prize £25 (No. 45), Owen Brinsden; 2nd prize £15 (No. 3), Darren James; 3rd prize £10 (No. 9), Arwyn Owen. John will advertise for new members for the 100 Club on the village website.
Car park fence – As yet, Steve Harland and Colin Roth have not provided a quote for this work and Jill has had no reply from Planed regarding the exact details of the time scale for their grant.

Village Newsletter and Website – The deadline for contributions for the next Newsletter will be some time before Easter.
Fire Safety Risk Assessment –Andy will bring the draft of his Fire Safety Risk Assessment for discussion at the next meeting.
Fund Raising – The Treasurer’s Report for the AGM showed that the lettings income is down yet again this year and, had it not been for donations, then our losses would have been more significant. Our bank and building society accounts contain healthy balances which have been built up over the years, so this is of no immediate concern but we need to be aware that any future abnormal expenses will have either to be paid out from our reserves or be grant-funded. Recent attempts at fund raising have not been well supported so we possibly need to apply for grants instead. We also need to attract more new users and classes to use the Hall. It was suggested that we could use the Hall as a part-time tourist information centre and ask the garage/shop if they would let us put flyers there to advertise the Hall for functions. Other suggestions were: 1) another murder mystery evening because these proved very popular when we did them a couple of years ago, 2) a performance by a male voice choir, 3) a craft day with people demonstrating different crafts and selling their wares, which might result in some more craft classes starting up in the Hall.
Forthcoming Events
John Lewis-Tunster and Henry plan to do another show in the Hall in May.

Correspondence
1) A letter has been received from Planed, saying that funding will get more difficult to obtain.
2) We have a new certificate for Small Society Lotteries (registration).
3) Zurich has sent information regarding Hall insurance. However, they were more expensive than our current Provider (Aviva). We are now in the first year of a three-year contract with Aviva, which gave a good discount.
4) www.beadsupermarket.co.uk wants to use our Hall for bead sales on 30th April from 8.30-3.30 and is willing to pay extra if we put the tables up and down for them. These sales are very well attended
5) The fire inspection has been done (£47.06.

Any Other Business
1) Pam asked if members thought that the Hall would benefit from having a cooker in the kitchen and replacing the microwave. It was agreed that this suggestion was well worth investigating because cooking facilities may attract more users for the Hall.
2) The Pembrokeshire South East Energy Group will be holding a question time event at the Regency Hall in Saundersfoot on 28th January at 7.30 pm. It may perhaps provide information on such things as the feasibility of using solar panels on the Hall roof.
NEXT METING: WEDNESDAY 23RD MARCH 2011 AT 8 PM



Present

Sue James, Roy James, Ruth Webb, Andy Webb, Jill Chatwin, Neville Ruff, Rod Bramhall
Apologies

Dilys Jenkinson, Ruth Roberts, Wendy Jones



The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed.



Matters arising

100 Club –The first draw for 2011/12 was not done at the Llanteg History Society meeting on 17th May 2011 as intended because John Lewis-Tunster was unable to attend that meeting.

Car park fence – The work on the wall and the external access to the kitchen is nearing completion and Nigel Morgans thinks that he will finish on time. The Trunk Roads Agency has allowed an increase in height for the wall because of the difference in levels between the car park and the pavement, so we can now average a height of 800 mm (instead of 600 mm) from the pavement side. The main concern now is to get the information board completed in time. There was a problem with emails between Signspeed and PLANED which has now been resolved and Andy is waiting for the draft details of the text and graphics for proofreading. PLANED has agreed to pay Signspeed directly and Signspeed will deliver the board to Nigel Morgans who will then install it. The grass between the wall and the pavement has been removed between the two entrances to the car park and will be replaced with gravel for ease of maintenance. The shrubs next to the upper entrance to the car park need to be trimmed back in order to maximise visibility there, but we could also think about having a “No Exit” sign on the car park side of this entrance. The visibility from the lower car park entrance has been greatly improved.

Financial situation – The money from our Santander Building Society Account has now been transferred to our HSBC account. Andy will now find a convenient deposit account with a competitive interest rate.

Village Newsletter – Ruth Roberts has contacted Claytons about the increased cost of printing the Newsletter. They have increased their copying prices from 4p to 6p per side but told her that this is their first price increase since before 1996. This has put up the cost of each newsletter booklet to around 73p. This year, we collected a total of £270 in advertising for our Spring and Autumn issues and we received a kind donation of £200 from Amroth Community Council towards the cost of the Newsletter, so we are not out of pocket.

Fire Safety Risk Assessment – Roy will get the floor plan of the Hall laminated to be displayed in the Hall. This shows evacuation routes from the emergency exits. Andy has completed the Fire Safety Risk Assessment document and has written some new evacuation procedures which can also be laminated and displayed in the Hall. These contain home telephone numbers for Andy and Ruth and for Roy and Sue, together with Andy’s mobile number and Sue’s mobile number. It is important that each hirer of the Hall should put someone in charge of evacuation procedure on each occasion that the Hall is used and this person should tell everyone where the fire exits are. Sue will send a copy of the evacuation procedures to hirers along with the hirer’s agreement so that they will have the information before they use the Hall.

The Hall electrics will need to be checked this year and Roy and Sue will contact an electrician to do this.

Hall Cooking Facilities – There is now a new combi microwave oven in the kitchen and the instruction booklet is with it.

Committee Room Blinds – Nothing to report.
Fund Raising –

1) Folk duo, Blackheart – please note the change of date from Wednesday 17th to Wednesday 24th August. They will perform in the Hall with the audience in a semi-circle around them, play for 45 min followed by an interval and then play for another 45 min. We will provide tea, coffee and biscuits and hold a raffle in the interval. Blackheart will provide posters and tickets for us and will take either 50 or 60% of the takings, depending on the ticket price that we choose to charge.

2).Murder Mystery – Saturday 19th November. Hilary Harvey has taken over from the previous company who have now moved away. Her company charges £80 and they will tailor their costumes to any particular era for the drama that they perform. We will provide a light buffet supper and the audience can bring their own drinks.

3) Pembroke Male Voice Choir – Sunday 11th March 2012 (provisional date) at 8 pm. There will be about 40 choir members and they have generously said that there will be no charge because the performance is for Hall funds.

We will discuss ticket prices for all three of these events at the next meeting.



Forthcoming Events

1) www.beadsupermarket.co.uk, Sunday 24th July, 8.30 am – 3.30 pm in the Village Hall.

2) Ludchurch Show, Friday 5th August.

3) Folk duo, Blackheart, Wednesday 24th August in the Village Hall. (Please note the change of date from Wednesday 17th August).

3) Quiz and Bingo Evening, Saturday 17th September, 7 pm. This will be held in the Hall in conjunction with Llanteg Community Association and will be hosted by John Lewis-Tunster. Light refreshments will be provided and people can bring their own drinks.

4) Show in the Village Hall, Saturday 1st October (provisional date, to be confirmed). John Lewis-Tunster and Henry Lewis will present a 1940s style show with music, songs and sketches.
Any Other Business

1) The PLANED Pembrokeshire Community Halls website to promote village halls and their activities is now up and running. Sue will contact them to correct the errors on our entry. We will be able to manage our entry on the site.

2) Chairs from the Hall will no longer be required for the wedding on Saturday 2nd July.

3) The Caravan Club has decided that our Hall car park is too small for their needs.

4) Electricity contract – Our contract with SWALEC is up for renewal on 30th June 2011. Based on current usage, their revised charges are £454 for a two-year deal via Direct Debit (compared with just under £400 for the past two years). SWALEC will allow us to change supplier if we wish because their renewal letters came out too late. Roy has investigated deals from other electricity suppliers. The companies make it very difficult to make direct comparisons because they all present their charges in different ways. British Gas has a fixed one-year contract of 10.45p/kW h and a standing charge of 23.08p/day, with a credit of £100 for new customers. Roy will negotiate with SWALEC and British Gas to get the best deal possible. An organisation, Utility Aid will help charities to choose the best energy supplier for their needs. This may be useful for us in the future but, on this occasion, would probably take too long for the time scale.

NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 6TH JULY 2011 AT 8 PM